Nicholas P. Laurent
Nick Laurent is a partner in the Austin office of Barron, Adler, Clough & Oddo, LLP where he exclusively represents landowners in eminent domain, inverse condemnation, and land use transactions and litigation. Nick’s practice includes road and highway takings and also pipeline, power line, and other utility takings. As part of his pipeline practice, Nick has represented landowners in some of the most significant pipeline cases in Texas, including a farm along the Gulf Coast that is crossed by over 75 pipelines that he represented before the trial court, an intermediate appellate court, and the Supreme Court of Texas and a 90,000+ acre ranch in west Texas in the path of the controversial Trans Pecos pipeline. Nick has worked on road, highway, pipeline, power line, and other takings cases throughout Texas, from El Paso to Beaumont and from the panhandle to the Rio Grande Valley as well as cases in Louisiana, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Virginia, and Colorado. Nick also represents landowners in contested cases on power line routing before the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the State Office of Administrative Hearings.
Prior to joining Barron, Adler, Clough & Oddo, LLP, Nick was a partner with McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP in Austin where he focused his practice on commercial litigation, including condemnation, eminent domain, land use, and partition matters, oil and gas issues, business disputes, bankruptcy matters, and complex receivership matters in state and federal courts both in Texas and other U.S. jurisdictions. Nick also has extensive experience litigating civil cases in federal and state appellate courts and has presented oral arguments before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in New Orleans and the Texas Third Court of Appeals at Austin.
Nick is a member of the State Bars of Texas and North Dakota and has been admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eighth Circuits, the Federal Court of Claims, and the United States District Courts for the Western, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of Texas.
Nick has been appointed Chair of the Condemnation Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law for the 2018-2019 term. Nick has also been selected to the 2017 and 2018 Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star list, which recognizes no more than 2.5% of attorneys in each state.
Nick Laurent graduated with a B.B.A. in Finance from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas in 2005. He attained his law degree in 2008 from the University of Tulsa College of Law where he graduated with highest honors, served on the Energy Law Journal, and was awarded the Order of the Curule Chair, the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Joe Rudd scholarship and the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation scholarship.
- Co-Speaker, Cutting-Edge Issues in Utility Easement Acquisitions, 19th Annual Eminent Domain Superconference (Austin 2020)
- Speaker, Participating in the Condemnation Process, HalfMoon Education’s Easements, Rights-of-Way, and Eminent Domain Seminar (Austin 2019)
- Speaker, Special Presentation: Eminent Domain and the Border Wall, Political and Legal Perspectives, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Conference (Seattle 2019)
- Speaker, Podcast Debate on The Texas Oil & Gas Podcast, Pipeline Eminent Domain and Landowner Rights (2019), (iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-97-debate-danny-vu-nick-laurent-eminent-domain/id1211918019?i=1000431109624&mt=2), (Spotify: spotify:episode:47g6GSTL54jXnt2q567cnP), (Spreaker: https://www.spreaker.com/user/9550540/texas-oil-and-gas-podcast-episode-97)
- Panelist, University of Texas Hispanic Journal 2019 Symposium: This Land is Whose Land? (Austin 2019)
- Co-Presenter, Eminent Domain and the Border Wall: Political and Legal Perspectives, Thomson Reuters Practical Law Public Sector Webinar (2018)
- Speaker, Pipe(line) Dreams: Common Utility and Other Condemnation Issues, Texas Land and Mineral Owner’s Association Statewide Member’s Meeting (San Antonio 2018)
- Published Co-Author, United States-Mexico Border Wall: The Past, the Present, and What May Come, American Bar Association Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Journal, Vol. 53, No. 1 (Spring 2018).
- Co-Presenter and Author, Federal Border Wall Acquisitions: Political and Substantive Condemnation Law Perspectives, CLE International Eminent Domain Conference (Las Vegas 2017)
- Author and Speaker, Recent Condemnation Issues; Compensation in power line and pipeline cases—new thoughts on an old subject and U.S./Mexico border wall: the past, the present, and what may come, 41st Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference (Austin 2017)
- Published Co-Author, Pipe(line) Dreams Post-Denbury Green, 48 St. Mary’s L.J. 699 (2017)
- Panel Moderator, Do Acquisitions by Private Pipeline Companies Pass Constitutional Muster – North Dakota and Trans-Pecos Projects: Can They Really Do That? What is the Public Purpose?, American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section’s 29th Annual Spring Symposia (Denver 2017)
- Author and Speaker, Condemnation of Private Property for Water Projects from the Landowner’s Perspective, State Bar of Texas 18th Annual Changing Face of Water Rights Course (San Antonio 2017)
- Co-Author with Roy Brandys, Utilities, Inverse Condemnation and More – Point/Counterpoint on Key Eminent Domain Issues from Landowner’s Perspective, CLE International Eminent Domain Superconference (Austin 2017)
- Co-Presenter with Blaire Knox, Pipe(line) Dreams Post-Denbury and Other Pipeline Valuation Issues, Austin Bar Association Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section monthly meeting (Austin 2016)
- Co-Author with Roy Brandys, Just Compensation in Utility Takings: Thinking Outside the Box, CLE International’s National Eminent Domain Conference (Las Vegas 2016)
- Author and Panel Participant, Pipeline Condemnation Post Denbury, Texas Bar CLE Advanced Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law (Houston 2016).
- Panel Moderator, Future of The Woodlands/Springwoods Village, Growing Through the Downturn (The Woodlands 2016).
- Speaker, 2014-2015 Condemnation/Eminent Domain Case Law Update, San Antonio Real Estate Discussion Group (San Antonio 2016).
- Author and Speaker, 2014-2015 Condemnation/Eminent Domain Case Law Update, Eminent Domain: Right to Take Issues & Challenges (Houston 2015).
- Author and Speaker, A Day in the Life of a JOA- Selected Daily Operational Issues, South Texas College of Law 2011 Energy Law Institute (Houston 2011); Published 25 TEX. OIL & GAS L.J. 1-7 (2012).
Nick Laurent is a member of the Real Estate Council of Austin and the Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Texas. He also holds memberships with the Austin Young Lawyers Association and the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation.